Vicariate of Rundu
Roman Catholic Church
Andara    Holy Family Parish
Fr. Andrzej Cieszkowski ...Telf: 264.066   259006 ... amcie01@yahoo.com

Parish Address:
    Holy Family Parish
    P.O.Box 2072, Rundu, Namibia

Tel:  264.066   258324
Fax:  264.088   616250


Parish located at Andara - 200kms east of Rundu

Fr. Andrzej Cieszkowski

  Andara Catholic Hospital
  Sacred Heart Sisters
  Rundu Vicariate

 Thimbukushiu Missal
 Thimbukushiu Year A Rdgs
 Thimbukushiu Year B Rdgs
 Thimbukushiu Year C Rdgs
 Thimbukushiu Catechism
Sunday Masses in Andara:...........07h00 for children in English and 09h00
35 Outstation Communities and 12,000 people served by Holy Family Parish

Holy Family Parish provides two hostels for boys and girls going to school in Andara.

Outstations served: Kamutjonge, Dimwagna, Bagani, Kanorombwe, Shamavinyo, Divundu, Kake, Diyogha, Andara, Thipanana, Diyana, Shadipwera, Biro, Kayanga, Mayara, Thikanduko, Kangongo, Moapuka, Tjova, Mukongotji, Shakashi, Kambimba, Shanondho, Dithimba, Shamara, Thjikukutu, Shayirungu, Muthinduko, Mangamba, Kangundja, Shaditunda, Shamunaro, Shutu, Shamaturu, Kavitji.

Holy Family Parish
Andara, Namibia


renovated March-April 2008

Where we come from…
The village of Andara is situated 200km east of Rundu in the Kavango Region of Namibia. The area is inhabited by the Hambukushu people who live as farmers and herders along the banks of the Kavango River. In 1909 the first missionaries arrived to Andara Mission but their work was not successful so they went back to Nyangana where they established a Mission. Then in 1913, Alexander Ndara, chief of the Hambukushu tribe, accepted and welcomed the Catholic Missionary Oblates – OMI. By visiting Chief Ndara and gaining his favor, the first priests where able to easily spread the Good News of God to the people. When founded, the Roman Catholic Mission was named Ndara Mission after the Chief, but today it is known as Andara. On 5 July 1914, the Magdalena Jiwa was the first person recorded to be baptized by Father Josef Gotthard on the river island Tahwe. Fr. Gotthard worked with Junior Wüst from 1921 to 1931 and with Fr. Frolich who would serve the next 69 years in Andara. Fr. Thanissen also worked with Fr. Frolich until 1966 when he was replaced by Fr. L.V. Lulsdorff (1966-1974), Fr. L. Baver and Fr. Kapirika (1975-1982), Kapp – OMI (1983-1992), and Fr. Henryk Ostrowski – Fidei Donum (1992-2006). Aside from the Roman Catholic faith, the first priests brought great things to Andara and the Mbukushu area. The Andara Catholic Hospital was founded in the 1960’s by Sister Katharina and later improved by Sr. Krisanta and Dr. Fisch. The early priests also built a youth hostel on the Mission grounds. In 1966, the hostel accommodated 130 students with the hostel mother Sr. Bernadete, the first Catholic nun at the Andara Mission. Coming from Oshikuku, Sr. Bernadete is, hitherto, the only Namibian sister to serve at Andara. The Andara Mission is also proud of its family for further accomplishments. From Andara, Fr. Gotthard went on to become the Archbishop of Windhoek. Fr. B. Haushiku was also a priest at Andara who later became Archbishop of Windhoek. Fr. Joseph Shikongo served at Andara for a short period and later became the first Bishop of Rundu. These are wonderful accomplishments for us to remember.

Where we are...
Today the Andara Catholic Mission consists of 36 Roman Catholic centers spanning the district located in the following villages: Andara, Bagani, Biro, Dimwagha, Dina-Kapako, Dithimba, Divundu, Diyana, Diyogha, Kake, Kambimba, Kamutjonga, Kangongo, Kangundja, Kanorombwe, Kayanga, Mangamba, Mayara, Mbapuka, Mukongotji, Muthinduko, Shamaturu, Shadipwera, Shakashi, Shamara, Shamavinyo, Shamunaro, Shanondho, Shayirungu, Shutukavitji, Thikanduko, Thikukutu, Thipanana, and Tjova. Of these 37 centers, there are 15 permanent churches. Great progress is being made under the guiding hand of Father Andrew Cieszkowski, who came to Andara in 2006. In fact, 2007 saw the completion and blessing of churches in four communities: Biro, Kamutjonga, Mbapuka, and Thikanduko.
Father Andrew oversees operation of the student hostels, which now accommodate more than 300 learners each school term. Much needed renovations have been made to the boys’ and girls’ hostels including the painting of the girls’ hostel, restoration and building of new showers and toilets, and installation of a new boys’ septic tank.
The Andara Catholic Mission is hard at work translating Faith-based texts into the local language, Thimbukushu. Translators have finished the lectionary and catechism materials as well as the first five books of the Bible. However, a lot of work is still to come. In 2007 was printed Catechism in local language which is used by many people.
Recently, the Mission also reached out to assist Twayapa Shotuyowe, an Andara-based HIV/AIDS Support Group assisted by Peace Corps Volunteer Mary Atherton. The group is starting a meat-selling business whose profits will go to sustain a vegetable garden that will help to feed families affected by this pandemic. Father Andrew and laborers at the Mission constructed the building that will be used as the Twayapa Shotuyowe marketplace.

Where we hope to go…
In 2007, Father Andrew was joined by Fr. Zbigniew Trała, and together they hope to bring even more life into the Mission and community. They will look to finish translating and printing the first Catholic Bible in Thimbukushu. For this, though, they will need financial support to cover the costs of food and transport for translators and bible pages for printing.
There is always need for continuous renovations and upgrades at the student hostel. The Andara Catholic Mission would like to establish a computer lab that learners would access in the evenings and on weekends. Information Technology is more important than ever to the education of young people, and access to the Internet means access to information and knowledge that is currently untouchable for these students. Computer literacy will prepare them for work and higher education in this quickly developing country.

Dedication of New Hospital Chapel


New Churches

Biro
Divine Mercy

blessed on 25.12.2006

Thikanduko
Our Lady of Africa

blessed on 27.05.2007

Mbapuka
St Anthony of Padua

blessed on 09.09.2007
by Bishop Joseph Shikongo

Kamujonga
Exaltation of the Cross

blessed on14.09.2007
by Bishop Joseph Shikongo

Renovated Churches

Kake
Our Lady of Fatima

January 2008

Divundu
September 2007

Kanorombwe
St Linus

25.12.08

Bagani
Sacred Heart of Jesus

February 2008

Diana
St. Francis of Assisi

March 2008

Holy Family Hostels

Girl's Hostel
Renovated 2006

Boy's Hostel
Renovated 2007

New Boy's
toilets and showers
2007

First Communion
818 children
Christmas
2007
Baptism
Christmas
2007

Andara
School and Hostel
cultural group

Donations requested:
To operate the school hostels so that our school children can get an education, is one of our most challenging tasks. As all of us can see in the world news these days, food costs are continuously rising and we find ourselves experiencing these same rising food costs as we struggle to feed our children in the two school hostels we operate. Therefore, any financial help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Contact us via our Email at the top of this page to learn the different ways that are available to send us donations.
Donate to: Andara Parish To make a donation - click here →   DONATE
Roman Catholic Church Namibia